Sunday, February 14, 2016

PAUSE FOR THOUGHT - HUMAN INTERCONNECTION


A Facebook friend of mine posted a sign on her page: I would rather struggle to get everything I have than to let someone give it to me.  I never want to hear the words "you wouldn't have that if it wasn't for me."



My comment: 


But don't you think that everything we have comes from being interconnected with others?  You wouldn't have your life without your parents.  You wouldn't have a big chunk of your knowledge without teachers.  You wouldn't have your life's experience without friends, bosses, family members, pets, even strangers that you have casual contacts with: bus drivers, waiters, waitresses, cashiers, doctors, pharmacists, etc.  Even someone like me, a writer, whose job is pretty solitary needs readers to appreciate my work.  And then there are the behind the scenes people who provide electricity, water, food, houses, streets, cars, fuel for the cars, etc., who we've never met face to face, but without whom we could not function. 



There are people who give us things every single day of our lives, and if they didn't, we wouldn't be who we are today.  In some cases we wouldn't be alive at all.  No one is completely independent.  No one accomplishes anything in their lives without someone to thank...many, many people to thank.  It's humbling, really.