Saturday, April 1, 2023

Right or Happy? Stupid Question

 

There's a meme on social media that begs the question:

Would you rather be right or happy?

What kind of a choice is that? In order to be in a relationship (casual or serious, platonic or romantic) I have to swallow my knowledge? My intellect? My right to my opinion? If I say I'm wrong when I'm not, how can I be happy? If I allow people spreading misinformation or hate around without speaking the truth, how can I be happy? If two people in any relationship allow each other to wallow in ignorance, how can either of them truly be happy? If either person concedes to something they don't believe or something that goes against their conscience, how can that relationship survive? It's living a lie.

That said, I've concluded that I'd rather be right. Anyone that comes into your life and insists that they must be right without evidence to back them up, and that you have to swallow your knowledge and carefully considered opinions that you know are correct because you have facts to back you up, isn't worth having as a friend. The willfully ignorant who refuse to acknowledge facts when they are presented, who are too lazy to look into matters and seek out the truth, even if it's an uncomfortable truth, and expect you to pussyfoot around their obstinance and tell them they have a point when they clearly are wrong is just exerting mind control. Why would anyone back down and submit to that? Submit to the kind of bullying that has kept people oppressed for centuries?

You want to be right? Show me evidence that you are right. And if I prove that evidence to be false then have the grace to concede the point, and I if you prove mine false I will do the same. Otherwise, there is no relationship at all, just your narcissism.


No comments:

Post a Comment